- On the final day of tests, Romain Grosjean showed the best time
And Fernando Alonso ended up in the hospital
The final day of the second official Formula 1 tests in Barcelona was quite dramatic. The best time of the day was shown by Lotus F1 driver Romain Grosjean, while Mclaren Honda driver Fernando Alonso had an accident and was taken to hospital for a medical checkup.
Grosjean had the best time of the day working on super soft tires. He completed the lap in 1 minute 24.067 seconds.
This is the fastest result demonstrated in all four test days.
Fernando Alonso was unable to finish the test day due to an accident.
But up to this point, the McLaren test day ended ahead of schedule due to the accident of Fernando Alonso. Shortly before noon, the Spaniard flew off the highway and crashed into a bump stop between Turns 3 and 4. The doctors who quickly arrived at the scene of the accident called a helicopter, which took Alonso to the nearest hospital for a medical check.
McLaren later said that the Spaniard "remained conscious and spoke with doctors."
In the final hour of the test day, Red Bull driver Daniil Kvyat took second place in the table. But a little later, he was shifted to the third line by Nico Rosberg. Nico worked on medium-hard rubber, but this did not prevent him from showing a time of 1 minute 24.321 seconds, which is 0.
4 worse than Grosjean's.
Daniil Kvyat took the third place. Felipe Nasr and Valtteri Bottas are right behind him in the table.
After the accident, Alonso was taken to the nearest hospital by helicopter.
"It was another good day for the team, - said Kvyat.
- We learned a lot of things that will be useful to us in the future, and this is the most important thing in the tests. All what we do gives us a positive result and we see that we have serious potential. "
Carlos Sainz Jr. showed the sixth time of day. At the same time, the Spaniard also crashed the car in the same Turn 3 as Alonso.
True, for Sainz Jr., the accident ended without serious consequences.
Daniil Kvyat showed the second result, but then was shifted to the third line by Nico Rosberg.
The seventh time was set by Sebastian Vettel, and Force India pilot Nico Hunkelberg took the eighth place. And Fernando Alonso closed the table, who passed the least of all laps - 20.
The most laps were driven by Nico Rosberg.
Teams now have only three days to prepare for the third and final preseason tests. They will take place from February 26 to March 1 on the same track in Barcelona.
On the third test day, the best result was also on the account of Lotus F1 Team pilot Pastor Maldonado .
Results of the fourth test day (22 February 2021.
1. Romain Grosjean, Lotus, 1m 24.067s, 111 laps
2. Nico Rosberg, Mercedes, 1m 24.
321s, 131 lap
3. Daniil Kvyat, Red Bull, 1m 24.941s, 104 laps
4. Felipe Nasr, Sauber, 1m 24.956s, 73 laps
Valtteri Bottas, Williams, 1m 25.345s, 129 laps
6. Carlos Sainz Jr, Toro Rosso, 1m 25.604s, 88 laps
7. Sebastian Vettel, Ferrari, 1m 26.
312s, 76 laps
8. Niko Hunkelberg, Force India, 1m 26.591s, 36 laps
9. Fernando Alonso, McLaren, 1m 27.956s, 20 laps